Photographs taken at National Trust sites in Cornwall
Levant Mine and Beam Engine is located within the St Just Mining District; one of the most ancient hard-rock tin and copper mining areas in Cornwall.
Copper and tin has been mined here for generations, and the mine workings of Levant extend over a mile out under the sea bed. In 1820, the Levant Mining Company was formed with a capital of £400, though Levant Mine first appeared on a map in 1748. By 1836, 320 men, 44 women and 186 children were employed on the site.
Crown Mines Botallack
In 2006 Botallack was given World Heritage Site status by UNESCO, joining 900 places around the world with this designation. This testifies to the importance of the mining landscape, its historic features and the technological developments and scientific research which took place here. The Cornish had a huge influence on the development of mining throughout the world. Between 1815 and 1915 over 250,000 people left to work in other mining areas, and its estimated that there are 6 million people of Cornish descent globally.